Apologies for sending what was meant to be a private message to the list.
Please ignore.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Seubert
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] steven barr

Hi Cary,

I agree that this would be an important session. I think that somebody
from an institution on the curatorial side should be on the panel, but I
also think somebody from an institutional major gifts office should be on
the panel. Perhaps UNC has somebody on staff that could appear? Our
position is vacant now, but typically our person is a lawyer who can
actually help donors write bequest language and weigh tax benefits. There
can be significant tax benefits to donors that I don't think are well
understood. My example is that a dealer might pay ten cents on the dollar
for a collection (and probably cherry pick), while a tax deduction would
net a donor 20 cents on the dollar if the donor is in a 20% tax bracket.
That's real money, not just good will.

I also think a dealer and a collector should be on the panel though I'm
not sure who would be willing.

This is more common than some probably realize. David Lennick also lost
much of his collection two years ago in a "storage wars" type situation. I
think all the 78s found homes, but I think his master tapes got sold for
the scrap value of the flanges.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

David

--