Ah, Roger, as a veteran of such digging, all I can say is 'all of that collateral damage by those who don't comprehend what they have in their hands?'

I think the BEST idea is the temp store, but I wouldn't be around to run such a thing. Perhaps a business model for more folks? Specialized estate sales...

On Tue, 12/3/13, Roger Kulp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] steven barr
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 10:23 AM

 Test post in new browser
 I would much rather see these collections end up at Goodwill
 or Salvation Army,where crate diggers like me could get at
 it,and push the stuff further down the line.
 Roger

 > Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 10:07:00 -0500
 > From: [log in to unmask]
 > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] steven barr
 > To: [log in to unmask]
 >
 > It's a real issue, and we should all mark Tom's words.
 I have bought
 > collections and particpated in clean-outs for relatives
 and others, and
 > believe me, the real enemy of the great collection is
 the dumpster.  That
 > is where a lot of them go.  My goal is to skinny
 down what I have while I
 > am alive, and then leave some kind of list or markings
 of what is really
 > valuable.  To the non-collectors in our families
 who have tolerated our
 > collections for years, it is usually all junk to be got
 rid of.

 > Best,
 > John Haley
 >

 > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM, eugene hayhoe <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

 > > I, when I walk into my basement, feel like 'what a
 lucky guy.' My wife,
 > > OTOH, goes 'OMG!' and mostly won't even come down
 here.

 > > The concern I have is finding the spot where 'she
 gets the most value' and
 > > 'the recordings, etc. end up in the right places'
 meet - most dealers have
 > > personal financial interests, and the moving
 'would not be a quick, casual
 > > job.'  I've suggested more than once that she
 'hire someone to open a
 > > temporary store' as the best way to liquidate, but
 she doesn't display much
 > > enthusiasm, despite the quite profitable nature of
 that idea. One friend
 > > could be interested in some, but has his own space
 issues of the same
 > > nature. As a retired college faculty member, I
 wouldn't trust much of any
 > > school to 'use them appropriately.'
 > >
 > > I've also told her that 'if Koester is still
 around when that time comes,
 > > he'd probably be interested.'
 > >
 > > And in NO way is that a dis; only spoke to him
 once, but 'have been
 > > appreciating his efforts in preserving American
 music for over 45 years.'

 wrote:

 > >  Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] steven barr
 > >  To: [log in to unmask]
 > >  Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 8:03 AM
 > >
 > >  One lesson that can be learned is
 > >  that we who collect should explore, while we
 are healthy,
 > >  vital and with full faculties, who might
 want to inherit our
 > >  collections. Is there an institution or
 archive we trust,
 > >  and is interested? Another collector? Would
 we like to
 > >  pre-arrange an auction with an expert in the
 topic areas
 > >  where we focus our collection? Don't assume
 spouses or
 > >  children or friends know or care about your
 collection,
 > >  unless you have included them in it and they
 have expressed
 > >  interest.
 > >
 > >  Having inherited a few collections of
 records and vintage
 > >  audio gear, I will say that it is never an
 easy process
 > >  because of the bulk, logistics, storage and
 other issues.
 > >  There is always expense and time-burden put
 on the person
 > >  taking over the collection, so make sure
 that person wants
 > >  the collection enough to put in the time and
 put up the
 > >  money. In my case, it helped very much in
 the cases where
 > >  the collection was well-documented. It also
 helped that two
 > >  of the collections had been introduced to me
 gradually, with
 > >  detailed explaination from the original
 owners. In fact I
 > >  treasure those times, with people I
 respected and cared for
 > >  explaining something they loved and about
 which they knew a
 > >  great deal, more than I treasure the actual
 items.

 > >  In the other cases, it was "hey I know you
 like this kind of
 > >  stuff and we need to clean out XX's house so
 we can sell it,
 > >  if you'll come and take it away you can have
 it." In those
 > >  cases, I was much more likely to sell off
 pieces in order to
 > >  cover my logistics and storage expenses,
 very soon after
 > >  taking possession. I do not regret any of
 those sales,
 > >  because some very nice items passed into
 hands that
 > >  appreciate and use them today. In these
 cases, I have passed
 > >  back all other sales proceeds to the people
 generous enough
 > >  to call me rather than put stuff in the
 dumpster or turn it
 > >  over to an estate-sale hack to get pennies
 on the dollar of
 > >  the true values. Net-net, I ended up keeping
 fewer items
 > >  from these collections, but it's nice to
 have those things.

 > >  The final case I've been involved in was my
 friend, 10 years
 > >  my junior, who died suddenly earlier this
 year. His father
 > >  needed help assessing his house-full of
 audio gear, tapes
 > >  and records, and finding buyers for what had
 monetary value
 > >  and takers for the rest. We managed to get
 90% of it sold
 > >  and given away, and the rest really was
 dumpster junk. I
 > >  bought some equipment items, which I am
 happy to have, and
 > >  his father gave me his records and tapes,
 which I am very
 > >  pleased to have and will remind me of my
 good friend gone
 > >  too soon.
 > >
 > >  The point of this is, if you care about what
 happens to your
 > >  collection when you're gone, you need to be
 proactive. The
 > >  best time to be proactive is when you have
 the energy and
 > >  the presence of mind to do it, ie not at the
 very end. You
 > >  can't take it with you, and you must assume
 that no one else
 > >  values it and nothing good will happen to it
 unless you make
 > >  preparations and enlist allies who will
 outlive you.

 > >  -- Tom Fine
 > >
 > >  ----- Original Message ----- From: "eugene
 hayhoe" <[log in to unmask]

 for naught? A
 > >  shame. Hope they ended up with 'someone who
 appreciates what
 > >  they have.'
 > >  >
 > >  >
 > >  >
 > >  >
 > >  > On Mon, 12/2/13, Dave Burnham <[log in to unmask]>
 > >  wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] steven barr
 > >  > To: [log in to unmask]
 > >  > Date: Monday, December 2, 2013, 9:00
 PM
 > >  >
 > >  > David Lennick is your best bet,
 > >  > however I'm not sure he has the info
 either. I don't
 > >  think
 > >  > there is an e-mail address because the
 reason he
 > >  stopped
 > >  > posting on 78L was because he didn't
 have a computer.
 > >  He may
 > >  > well be out of reach. I understand his
 records have
 > >  been
 > >  > liquidated to cover debts owing.
 > >  >