Jane,

This has come up for me a few times.  As my antipathy for <note> is well
documented, I have always advocated for using <relatedmaterial> for
internal references. I will ask the tag library editorial team to consider
revising the element definition to make it more accommodating of the
ISAD(G) usage.

Mike