Hello Marsha

The question I would have is why you can't just encode you data in a
structured way to begin with (i.e. XML)?  I can't imagine that would be
any less complex than trying to establish complex relationships and
having to create delimiters for multiple values in a single cell (and
verify that they are all correct).  I realize that Excel is more
"user-friendly" to those that don't understand cataloging,
series/subseries or hierarchies, but my experience is that those type of
people are not going to be able to create anything other than a simple
flat container list anyways.

Mark