Hello Marsha

The question I would have is why you can't just encode you data in a structured way to begin with (i.e. XML)?  I can't imagine that would be any less complex than trying to establish complex relationships and having to create delimiters for multiple values in a single cell (and verify that they are all correct).  I realize that Excel is more "user-friendly" to those that don't understand cataloging, series/subseries or hierarchies, but my experience is that those type of people are not going to be able to create anything other than a simple flat container list anyways.

Mark