This is a PS:

Your instinct that says you'll need multiple columns if you want, for example, multiple genreform terms in MARC, sounds right to me.  However, I do not know what MARCedit does if some cells are empty. That is, if you make 3 columns to allow for three 655 fields, but some records have only one or perhaps even none.

Perhaps someone else can answer.  Or try the Autocat list for folks who use MARCedit more heavily.

Kate

From: Encoded Archival Description List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Marsha Maguire [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2013 7:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EAD] Generating EAD and/or MARC from spreadsheets -- how?

Greetings, all. If I may, I wanted to revisit a thread from a couple of weeks ago (I was out of town when it first came up).

Kate Bowers said, "Starting with a spreadsheet, you can generate both MARC records and EAD components from the same source data."

But how, exactly (I ask as a non-programmer), is this done? Spreadsheet structure being flat and seemingly one-to-one (unless a lot of data is repeated in succeeding rows), I'm wondering how to indicate in the spreadsheet that a given title (say, of a book or a sound recording) described in a spreadsheet row has more than one creator or subject. In other words, how should a spreadsheet be set up to handle one-to-many relationships, so that its data can be exported and converted to EAD XML or MARC XML? May I ask anyone who is kind enough to consider answering this to please be specific or provide specific examples?

Apologies if this is obvious to many of you. Thanks so much.

Marsha Maguire