Hi Jane and others

EAD3 has a solution for this, I believe, with the new <relations> element. The tag library says:
“relationships with other resources such as archival collections…may be expressed using a <relation> element with the @relationtype attribute set to ‘resourcerelation’..”
I don’t know if this is intended for internal references as well as others but I don’t see why not.

I would think that this is a much more dynamic way of linking to related material than via <relatedmaterial>.

Of course, this may not be an answer right now until we’re all upgraded to EAD3 but it’s worth bearing in mind.

Victoria

Victoria Peters

University Archivist

University of Strathclyde

Andersonian Library

101 St James' Road, Glasgow G4 0NS

Tel: 0141 548 5825

Fax: 0141 552 3304

Email: [log in to unmask]

University of Strathclyde Archives and Special Collections website strath.ac.uk/archives

Follow us on Twitter @StrathArchives

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body registered in Scotland, no SCO 15263