On 1/25/14, 8:42 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

Jörg, thanks. One thing, though, that makes me cautious about using annotations is that unless you supply a type for body and target, you have no idea what kinds of things are annotated and are annotating. In fact, in the below, I would want to do something like (see inline):
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

@prefix oa: <http://www.w3.org/ns/openannotation/core/> .
@prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> .
@prefix lcrel: <http://id.loc.goc/vocabulary/relators/> .
@prefix lobid: <http://lobid.org/organisation/> .
@prefix xbib: <http://xbib.org/vocab/example/> .

<http://id.loc.goc/vocabulary/relators/ill> rdfs:label "illustrated by"@en .

xbib:work1 a xbib:Work;
    lcrel:ill [
        a xbib:Illustrator;
        xbib:identifier <URI for illustrator's name>
    ] ;

As a property, not an annotation:

  xbib:work1 a xbib:Work;
      xbib:ill <URI> .
  <URI> a foaf:Person .

then as triples (which is the only way I can check what I've done)

xbibwork1 rdf:type xbib:Work .
xbibwork1 xbib:ill <URI> .
<URI> rdf:type foaf:Person .

As an annotation:

    xbib:annotation [
        a oa:Annotation;
        oa:hasBody xbib:work1;

        oa:hasTarget lcrel:ill;
oa:annotated "2014-01-25T16:35:00Z"^^<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#dateTime> ;
       oa:annotator lobid:DE-605#joerg;
        oa:motivatedBy oa:identifying
  ] .
  xbib:work1 a dctypes:?? .
  lcrel:ill a foaf:Person .

triples:

xbib:annotation rdf:type oa:Annotation .
xbib:annotation oa:hasBody xbib:work1 .
xbib:annotation oa:hasTarget lcred:ill .
xbib:annotation oa:annotated "2014-01-25T16:35:00Z"^^<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#dateTime> .
xbib:annotation oa:annotator lobid:DE-605#joerg .
xbib:annotation oa:motivatedBy oa:identifying .

xbib:work1 rdf:type dctype:?? .
lcrel:ill rdf:type foaf:Person .

Looking at this, I'm just not sure this fits into the annotation model. The "illustrated by" is not a thing (and annotations are relations between two things) -- it is a property.

I also have a hard time deciding how I should type the bibliographic record as a target - it's not the book or the CD or the map, it's a metadata record representing those. However, most bodies will be annotating the represented content, not the metadata record. So, in terms of typing, do we 1) refer to the underlying expression ("text" "sound") (this is what the dctypes are best for) 2) the package ("book" "CD") 3) the bibliographic entity ("frbr:Work" "BIBFRAME:Work")?

kc

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">