Catalog vocabularies and their ontologies on the web are the future fur
cultural heritage information indexing and storing, as ISO 2709 was a key
standard 40 years ago.

Since the W3C blog entry announces a strong drive towards a class of
first-citizen vocabularies and indicates that LOV's are unreliable and
rather ridiculous, I would welcome activities that can design candidates
for a consistent and rich family of "Cultural Heritage Vocabularies", which
are not dominated and streamlined by for-profit web industry, but created
by library professionals and global non-profit organizations, like IFLA,
UNESCO, Wikimedia, OKFN, and many more.

RDA / Bibframe vocabularies, beside others like CIDOC-CRM, can hopefully be
a valuable input in that context.

It should be noted that buzzwords like "big data" created an overwhelming
demand of "encoding and publicizing data" in the IT industry, which in fact
is nothing new but at it's core a traditional librarian's job. We will
either see the art of cataloging entering the web, or the reinvention of
the wheel in form of "data catalogs", without the expressiveness of
librarians' knowledge and expertise, which may be doomed to fail.

Just my 2 cent.

Jörg