> From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> On Behalf Of Joyce Chapman
>
> I teach a course on Metadata For Digital Applications and I want to update the syllabus to
> include more current readings for our week on EAD and EAC. The main reading they've got
>  now is from 2005 (Thurman, A. C. 2005. Metadata standards for archival control: An
> introduction to EAD and EAC. Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 40 (3/4)). Our textbook
> doesn't have anything on EAD and EAC.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations for more current material that covers the basics
> (explains the what/why/etc)? I don't mind giving them a combination of a few different
> things to read.

Not sure how you define "current" - a lot of the intro-leve articles that cover the basics were published when the standards were first released, so they're bound to be relatively old.  Here are a few that I've used as readings, ranging from 2001 to 2009:

Richard V. Szary, "Encoded Archival Context (EAC) and Archival Description: Rationale and Background"
Journal of Archival Organization Volume 3, Issue 2-3, January 2006, pp. 217-227

Katherine Wisser, "Describing Entities and Identities: The Development and Structure of Encoded Archival Context-Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families"
Journal of Library Metadata Volume 11, Issue 3-4, 2011, pp. 166-175

Janice E. Ruth, "The Development and Structure of the Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Document Type Definition"
Journal of Internet Cataloging Volume 4, Issue 3-4, November 2001, pp. 27-59

Cory Nimer et al., "What Do You Mean It Doesn't Make Sense? Redesigning Finding Aids from the User's Perspective"
Journal of Archival Organization, Volume 6, Issue 4, pp. 216-232

Daniel Pitti, "Technology and the Transformation of Archival Description"
Journal of Archival Organization, Volume 3, January 2006, Issue 2-3, pp. 9-22

Steven L. Hensen, "Archival Cataloging and the Internet: The implications and impact of EAD"
Journal of Internet Cataloging, Volum 4, Issue 3-4, 2001, pp. 75-95.

Kris Kiesling, "The influence of American and European practices on the evolution of EAD"
Journal of Archival Organization, Volume 3, Issue 2/3, 2005, pp. 207-215.

Meg Sweet, "The internationalization of EAD"
Journal of the Society of Archivists, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2001

The Wikipedia article on EAD actually isn't bad as far as covering the basics :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encoded_Archival_Description
The site "EADiva" is a great resource for learning/exploring EAD: http://eadiva.com/

Michele