I'd suggest reading into SNAC: http://socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu/

They have generated more than 4 million EAC records derived
programmatically from a variety of sources: finding aid collections,
authority files, and others (
http://socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu/contributors.html).  It is a
multi-year project which has been well-funded by the NEH and Mellon.  I
don't know how you've not heard very much noise.  It's quite a visible
project--had write-ups in the Chronicle and other national media,
well-represented at SAA.

Ethan