Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of
free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures,
entitled "Democracy at the President's Doorstep: The History of First
Amendment Protests Outside the White House" on Tuesday, January 21st from
1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

Ever since the beginnings of the American Revolution in the mid-1770ís,
Americans have cried out for forums to speak their minds and air their
grievances. One of the most active of all those places since the founding
of Washington, DC has been Lafayette Square and Pennsylvania Avenue in
front of the White House. Facing the Executive Mansion, demonstrators have
shouted, sung, spoken, and silently expressed their views and ideas on a
variety of controversial subjects. In a land founded on dissent and the
freedom of speech, no place has witnessed more of this truly most American
of activities than the area opposite the North entrance of the White House.

Please join Jacob Dinkelaker, a Park Ranger stationed at President's Park,
as he explores the roots of demonstrations outside the White House, from
their earliest beginnings at the time of the Woman's Suffrage Movement up
to present day.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the
Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in
Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following
link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

You may also contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at
[log in to unmask] for more information about this program.   For
information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs,
we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at
http://www.doi.gov/library/programs/speaker.cfm.

We hope to see you on January 21st!

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services
(OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]