While acknowledging that NACO catalogers are not supposed to use the 382 $v
yet (at least in authority records), I still have a question on its link to
RDA, if any.

Is this subfield associated with RDA 7.21 (Medium of Performance of Musical
Content) in some way?  Or is it intended as a "MARC-only" thing?  I didn't
see any elaboration on a 382 field note while scanning discussion papers,
proposals, and MARBI minutes.

Details on the 382 field are here:
<http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad382.html>
<http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd382.html>

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota