Paul

“NACO catalogers:

• Assure that the undifferentiated NAR only contains information relevant to the single identity remaining (e.g., 670s)

• Add a 667 field to the undifferentiated NAR:

667 ## $a Last identity on undifferentiated record; reported for deletion.

• Report the undifferentiated NAR for deletion to [log in to unmask] ; LC will create a new replacement NAR and delete the old record”

Thank you for this clarification. This is much easier, when the final identity can not be qualified.

However, when we are faced with two remaining identities on an undifferentiated NAR, and have qualifying information for both of them, it would make sense for us to create undifferentiated, qualified NARs for both of them, and simply report the undifferentiated NAR for deletion, with no need for LC to create a new replacement NAR. It seems imprudent to leave one name unqualified, simply because it is the last to be removed from the undifferentiated NAR. The undifferentiated NAR arose in the first place because the name is a common one, and we’ll only end up having to qualify it when the next one comes along. Do we have this option?

Thanks

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager