I am creating authority records for materials in our archives which recently received collection-level cataloging.  The titles were “made up” by a staff member and often consist of something like “Office of the Dean of Whatnot, 1975-2011”.  The Office of the Dean of Whatnot collected the material.

I am puzzled about the 670 and 675 fields for this type of material.

Case 1—The collection from the Office of the Dean of Whatnot contains calendars, correspondence, meeting notes, etc.  None of these items say “Office of the Dean of Whatnot .”  Would I make the first 670 field look like this: Office of the Dean of Whatnot, 1975-2011: $b name not given?

Would the item being cataloged utilize a 675 as described in DCM Z1which says, “When creating a new NAR always cite the item being cataloged in the 675 field if the item being cataloged provides no information.”  If I find the name elsewhere would go into a 670 field?  This feels up-side-down.

Case 2-- The collection from the Office of the Dean of Whatnot contains correspondence and brochures issued by the Office of the Dean of Whatnot.  These things are not cataloged separately.   What would my first 670 look like?  I am tempted to have Office of the Dean of Whatnot, 1975-2011: $b name not given.  However, the name is given on an item within the collection. Would I make a 670 for a brochure which is part of the collection either as the first or later 670?

I appreciate advice.

Marsha

Marsha Starr Paiste

Catalog Librarian