Hi, Paul,

I'm sorry for all the details, but this was a real gestalt for me.

In general, when a cassette squeals in the Nakamichi Dragon, the only
thing that helps is lubrication with D5. That was why I was so excited
by Shai's "discovery" as it provided a whole new perspective on
potential causes and cures.

Generally (and I'd love to hear Shai's answer with this specific tape),
placing the tape into a new shell has had no effect. That bypasses the
slipsheet question and the hub-to-shell friction.

So, thanks to you and others who mentioned slipsheets as that is
important. I had a cassette that would not play for a client and I was
able to make it play, and slipsheets were part of the issue--the ones
that came with the tape were all wavy and horrid. The other part was
minor layer-to-layer adhesion, but not enough to pull off mag coat.

I do not know what caused the adhesion, but I would not be surprised if
it were some exudate from the decaying slipsheets.

Cheers,

Richard

On 2014-02-06 12:20 PM, Paul Stamler wrote:
> After Richard's detailed discussion I'm hesitant to jump in with an
> elementary-level question, but here it is:
>
> Shai, have you replaced the slipsheets in the squealing cassettes?
>
> Peace,
> Paul

-- Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers --
even from hard-to-play tapes.