Hi, Tom,

I think that only you can answer that question as any smaller speaker
involves a compromise.

The MR5MkIII lists a -3 dB point of 57 Hz; the 6, 46 Hz; the 8, 38 Hz;
and the HR-824 MK II lists 35 Hz. I use a sub with the HR-824 MK I's.

Your mileage may vary.

It seems to me that the Sweetwater price of $150 for the 5 and $200 for
the 6 just might work in favor of the 6 and get another 11 Hz.

But size is a consideration.

The 5 is 11.3 x 7.8 x 10.9 inches while the 6 is 12.7 x 8.7 x 12.0.
The 5 weighs 12.1 lb each; the 6, 15.9.

The MR6MkIII for $400 for the pair seems like a fair choice

Also for $350 there is the Mackie MR10S MkIII subwoofer, but with a pair
of 5's that puts you up at $650.

YMMV

Cheers,

Richard

On 2014-02-18 1:23 PM, Tom Fine wrote:
> Hi Arthur, Richard, Paul, etc.,
>
> I probably didn't make clear that these are in the office, not the
> studio. I don't need mission-critical here, just good sounding.
>
> The 5" Mackies seem interesting but can 5" speakers put out enough bass?
> I know there are claims but I think we're up against the limits of
> physics with these 5-6" "woofers" and moving enough air to create bass
> energy.
>
> -- Tom Fine
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur Gaer" <[log in to unmask]>

-- Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm Quality tape transfers --
even from hard-to-play tapes.