Back before this sort of thing cost a fortune, my brother got a bunch of very nice hard-plywood
shelves made by a guy with a shop down near Canal Street in NYC. Now I'm sure the real estate where
the shop was is worth a fortune, and the last time I checked pricing on custom-made shelving it was
$$$$.

My compromise -- which now houses all of my jazz records and about 1/3 of my classical records --
are the cheap pine cubes you find at Michael's and AC Moore shops. If you wait for a coupon combined
with a sale, they can be had very cheap. They are sturdy and can be stacked successfully (I have
them stacked to the ceiling with my jazz records, 3 abreast). Beware that the width measurement is
open to interpretation by whatever Chinese factory is putting them together this week, so some
shelves work very well sideways and some don't. The way I had good success with my jazz records was
three 3x1 shelves next to each other on the floor, with a well-made 3x1 sideways on top of them, and
then three 2x1's on top of that. They go up to about 6.75 feet, which is high as I'd want any record
shelf (I'm 6 feet tall, and I like to be able to reach and view spines on the top shelves without a
ladder). That's 18 cubes, each approximately 12.5" wide, so 18.75 linear feet of storage.

For the cubes housing part of my classical collection, they needed to sit on top of 2-drawer file
cabinets. I re-purposed an old cubicle surface that was headed for the dumpster, and cut it to size
to sit on top of the file cabinets (my theory is that this spreads the stress points evenly across
the decent-grade but not super-grade steel). Then I got really lucky when my wife brought home three
3x1 cubes that were all 12.7 inches wide. This allowed me to stack them on their sides, which again
makes a larger unified contact area over which to spread the weight (I'm not a physicist, so I can't
tell you that this was best practice, but it resulted in very stable shelves and the file cabinets
are so far showing now signs of buckling under the weight). So that's 9 cubes, about 9.2 linear feet
total.

I hate to admit this, but those two shelves house less than half of my records! Sheesh.

-- Tom Fine