I have found that a designated 78 cartridge is better than a stereo one. The
G.E. cartridges are fine to an extent. The pick-up poles are right in line
to where the stylus contacts the record, and I believe more accurate than a
stereo cartridge  - for 78's anyway.  Stylii are available for it too and
are not expensive from Voice of Music online.

I have considered the stylus itself to be the weak link as it has
comparatively low compliance which makes it necessary to track more heavily.
If there is a manufacturer reading this, I would suggest re-thinking the
structure of the replacement stylus itself to improve compliance - there is
nothing wrong with the cartridge itself.

Any tone arm with a VR cartridge sould have a bit of mass- the output will
be better and less noise. A Pickering M190 arm is nicely balanced ,easily
adjustable for tracking force, and has enough mass to track difficult
records.

 The draw back in using a stereo cartridge is that the high volume of a 78
rpm record creates a resonance in the canilever assembly , resulting in
distortion creating warmth in the resulting sound, and it's not accurate.
Lps are recorded at a lower level and the stylus doesn't resonate so much .
I use a Shure M97 for recording but play slow at 33 1/3 to get improved
results.-Mickey