I am currently researching the RS-232 connection for possible automation. A number of our broadcast decks (DAT, MiniDisc, Reel), have this connection. When I looked up the documentation, I got the impression that there is a lot of functionality under the hood of these devices that a proper computer script could use to automate as well as extract technical metadata directly from the machine.

Has anybody done any work with this and if so, are there papers written about this that I could use in furthering my research?

Thanks for any advice
--
Henry Borchers
Broadcast Media Digitization Librarian