Hello everyone,

I joined this list some months ago, but this is my first post. I am working
at an archive whose collection includes sound recordings from the former
East Germany, and I'm trying to come up with a template for how these
should be described in a forthcoming book that will document our collection
(which encompasses an extremely diverse variety of artifacts, from print
publications to fine art to furniture, appliances, and domestic objects). I
would greatly appreciate answers to the specific questions posed at the
bottom of this post, as well as more general advice or guidance, either on-
or off-list.

*General guidelines for the "tombstones" are already established:*

English category, English title (German category, German title), date
artist/maker/publisher
material
English measurements (metric measurements)
city made, country made

*An example (a print advertisement):*

Advertisement, Helios Liquor (Werbung, Helios Liköre), 1950s

Helios Likörfabrik Paul Passoth Storkow (Mark)

Paper

19.5 in. x 14 in. (49.5 cm x 35.5 cm)

Storkow, East Germany

*Two examples of how I propose to denote sound recordings:*

Phonodisc, *Rhythm '73* (Schallplatte, *Rhythmus '73*), 1973

Various/Amiga VEB Deutsche Schallplatten

Vinyl

12", 331/3 RPM (30.5cm, 331/3 RPM)

Berlin, East Germany

Phonodisc, *She's Still Alone/Never Give You Up *(Schallplatte, *Sie Ist
Immer Noch Allein/Gib Dich Nie Auf*), 1975

Kreis/Amiga VEB Deutsche Schallplatten

Vinyl

7", 45 RPM (17.75cm, 45 RPM)

Berlin, East Germany

These are, as far as I know, the only two types that will appear in the
book; i.e. it will not include any tape recordings. I couldn't get the
formatting for fractions right in this email, but the "one third" in 331/3
should appear as a fraction.

*Questions:*

1. Are there conventions for denoting standard-size disc diameters in
Germany? (Here I simply converted 7" and 12" to centimeters and rounded
off, but I'm guessing that's not correct).

2. Does the way I've denoted the two titles on each side of a single seem
correct?

3. Do you agree with my inclination to leave off discographically
descriptive terms such as Album, Single, LP, EP, etc., and just stick to
the diameter and speed?

4. Can you point me to other examples of sound recordings being represented
in this way as part of mixed media collections, either in print
publications or online?

Many thanks!

Kate Dollenmayer
Audiovisual Archivist
The Wende Museum and Archive of the Cold War
5741 Buckingham Parkway, Suite E
Culver City, CA 90230
310-216-1600, ex. 306
www.wendemuseum.org