I hand built from wood three 5 shelf 48" long freestanding units that sit next to each other; they're great, but given the cost and time involved, when I found that for $60, I could get a very solid metal frame of the same dimensions with 5 adjustable composite shelves, I stopped building. Have been told that other places have similar ones, but Costco is where I bought mine. Not in the online catalog, but I've bought 10 or so over a long period of time. Way more stable than any IKEA I've seen, no 'leaning walls' required.

On Sat, 2/22/14, Thomas Stern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Record (LP) shelving
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 5:02 PM

   From the articles on the web,
 no need to panic - the EXPEDIT line is being replaced by a
 KALLAX series - almost
 exactly the same, except the wide side panels have been
 narrowed.  I have not seen any statement about
 weight limits or any change to the interior of the shelving,
 nor any price information (hopefully they
 may lower the price).
     http://consumerist.com/2014/02/20/ikea-to-record-collectors-dont-freak-out-about-the-death-of-expedit-shelves/
     http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312
   The following article shows an 8x8 cubicle unit which
 has collapsed - Anyone done something to prevent this (e.g.
 add bracing,
 brackets, etc.)  Having one end against a wall would
 prevent collapse in that direction, but it seems it
 could fall the other way......
     http://www.street-tease.com/frais/2276-ikea-ce-serait-une-erreur-de-supprimer-l-expedit-dj-vinyles.html
   Best wishes, Thomas.