Hi Allison!

Only the words are different. The time, temp, and results are the same. You are dehumidifying and heat treating the tapes whether you use a dehydrator or a convection oven. It is only the device in use for the same process that differs.

One important detail is to not use a common household gas oven, as gas burning has H20 as a side effect. It needs to be dry in there, preferably with air circulation! A convection oven by definition uses hot air circulation, a dehydrator may need an accessory fan if the heat rising is not enough. That's why I like the Excalibur; they have a fan pushing air horizontally across the tapes, no hot spots.

That said, I usually transfer the tapes I bake the following day, and haven't needed to go back and find out how long the effect holds. But six months or more later, re-baking is needed, according to my experience...

<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689