NISO Virtual Conference: The Semantic Web Coming of Age: Technologies and Implementations
Virtual conferences are 5-6 hour conferences held online in webinar-like formats, with occasional breaks in the schedule for participants. The longer length allows the depth of coverage of a conference coupled with the convenience of a webinar.
Date: February 19, 2014
Time: 11:00 - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
Event webpage: http://www.niso.org/news/events/2014/virtual/semantic/
ABOUT THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE
The Semantic Web, the phrase coined by Sir Tim Berners-Lee, envisioned the Internet as a common framework of data that can be shared across numerous platforms. Libraries and publishers are among those leading the charge with projects and initiatives aimed at making information and resources more widely available in the greater web of data.
This virtual conference will look at the challenges and opportunities available through the Semantic Web, highlighting applications, projects, and initiatives that are changing the way libraries and publishers structure their metadata and improve the accessibility of their content.
TOPICS AND SPEAKERS
· Keynote Address – Ramanathan V. Guha, Google Fellow; Founder of Schema.org
· The W3C Semantic Web Initiative – Ralph Swick, Domain Lead of the Information and Knowledge Domain at W3C
· Engaging with Open Data: The Open Data Institute
· The Social Data Graph: The Friend of a Friend (FOAF) Project – Henry Story, Chief Technical Officer & Co-founder at Stample
· Sharing Information on the Semantic Web: The Need for a Global License Repository – Pierre-Paul Lemyre, Director of Business Development, Lexum
· Semantic Web Applications in Publishing – Heather Ruland Staines, Vice President Publisher Development, SIPX
· Semantic Web Applications in Libraries – Kevin Ford, Network Development & MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress
· Conference Roundtable: Services that Build on Others Semantic Web Data
Registration is per site (access for one computer) and closes at 4:00 pm Eastern on February 18, 2014 (the day before the virtual conference). Discounts are available for NISO members and students. All virtual conference registrants receive access to the recorded version for one year.
Can't make it on the day of the virtual conference? All registrants receive access to the recorded version for one year. Take advantage of the Virtual Conference subscription package for all six of the 2014 Virtual Conferences and save 33%. (NISO members can save 50%.)
Visit the event webpage to register and for more information: http://www.niso.org/news/events/2014/virtual/semantic/
Technical Editor / Consultant
National Information Standards Organization