Carsten, thanks for the suggestions. We have a constant struggle between accomodating messy note-like data in our current catalog, and the dream of controlled vocabulary (and links to resources) in use across the board.  Right now there are not enough resources to link to, although we continue to add them id.loc.gov. ECPO looks interesting.  I suspect going forward there might need to be a literal version and a uri version for many properties in BIBFRAME, but two ways to do something has its own pitfalls.

Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Klee, Carsten
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BIBFRAME] enumeration and chronology + ranges

Hi!

In the BIBFRAME vocab I stumbled upon the property bf:enumerationAndChronology [1] with a Literal as range.

Have you ever thought about getting more explicit like our [2] approach with the Enumeration and Chronology of Periodicals Ontology (ECPO) [3]?

I have taken a quick look at the bf:HeldItem class [4]. From my point of view there are some other property ranges you might rethink, like for bf:circulationStatus and bf:subLocation (I suspect more like these). Both instances might also be expressed as resources.

Cheers!

Carsten

[1] <http://bibframe.org/vocab/enumerationAndChronology.html>
[2] <http://purl.org/ontology/holding>
[3] <http://purl.org/ontology/ecpo>
[4] <http://bibframe.org/vocab/HeldItem.html>
Carsten Klee
Abt. Überregionale Bibliographische Dienste IIE Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin - Preußischer Kulturbesitz Potsdamer Straße 33
10785 Berlin

Fon:  +49 30 266-43 44 02
Fax:   +49 30 266-33 40 01
www.zeitschriftendatenbank.de