I wonder if both are needed. recordAccept for a MIME type (possibilities
include application/xml, or application/json, or application/rdf+xml)

And recordSchema which says something like 'bibframe' or 'marc'.  Record
schema like 'bibframe' or 'marc' could be 'registered' simply on a wiki
page controlled by the 'SRU standards body'.  (If I understand right
that's currently how recordSchema is used/intended?)

While there are still theoretical ontological complexities -- (if you
want marcxml, is that recordAccept application/xml with recordSchema
marc, or recordAccept application/marc+xml with recordSchema marcxml, or
some other combination) -- I suspect in practice it would just Work Out,
as conventions are established for common patterns. (Trying to specify
this all absolutely with an elegant theoretical framework ends up just
over-complicating things and not actually leading to increased
inter-operability anyway, in my experience).