Dear Tom,

The comment you quote ("we always used this third-generation tape to cut
LPs so it's good enough.") was certainly true of Columbia Special Products
and (from comments to me from those who worked on RCA Victor material)
RCA/BMG CDs. I can attest that as of 1991, Sony Classical via Tom Frost and
Gunther Breest decreed that all CD reissues be produced from original
edited masters (3-track 1/2") and unedited safeties when needed. "Two
tracks" were henceforth despised as unsuitable. Pre-tape source was to
originate from surviving lacquer masters. There was a halfhearted
admonition to consult the original released Lp version as a remastering
guide, but in practice the intention was to optimize the superior quality,
hitherto unheard, of the edited originals. Such editions as Bruno Walter,
Glenn Gould and the "Royal Edition" Bernstein series reflected that
production philosophy. From 1992, I supervised the search for original
surviving source, housed at IMAR in Rosendale, NY and effected the
re-organization of the stored material to improve retrieval success. The
release schedule was heavy and I made usually two and sometimes three trips
to the facility to locate needed source. Many stereo masters were
discovered that had never appeared on Lp. The source for Masterworks
Heritage was considerably more problematical but all releases in the line
came from the earliest material that could be found. The 1903 Grand Opera
Series was the most complicated and time-consuming production of the series
but is something that I am particularly proud of. I only wish that we had
the digital tools that have emerged in the two decades since Seth Winner
and I began working to achieve the best sound possible from as many copies
of original discs and two surviving metals as could be gathered.

DDR

--
1006 Langer Way
Delray Beach, FL 33483