On 12/03/2014, Tom Fine wrote:

> I don't mind regional accents, and even some of the mispronunciations
> that used to be called "ghetto talk," I think that's all part of the
> American fabric. Perhaps in a tiny land mass like the UK they can
> strive for a uniform English, but I actually think it would be
> un-American for us to further de-regionalize our country in search of
> a generic pronunciation key (Wal-Mart English, anyone?). I grew up in
> a house with one parent from Mississippi-Texas and one from Queens, so
> I turned out with a somewhat generic (New Yawk-leaning) accent but
> with all the strange folk-isms from two very different places. Typical
> American mutt, and that kind of thing is what makes our version of
> English and our culture so unique and interesting.

There is a wide variety of accents and grammatical dialects in England,
not to mention Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

What we call "standard English" is the version spoken in the region near
London; but even here there is plenty of local variation, and
pronunciation changes with time, as you can tell from watching 1930s
films/movies.

There are also many immigrant accents, some of them spoken by third
generation people of immigrant ancestry.

> What I do mind is mumbling, fast-talking, low-talking, and garbling
> basic grammar. I also don't think that what used to be called "hick
> talk" -- a combination of mangled words, mangled grammar and a batch
> of profanities thrown in for emphasis -- has any place in non-fiction
> broadcasting or writing, except as a direct quote of a news-story
> subject. And I also think that professional broadcast operations need
> to get a handle on the world of cellphones and figure out best
> practices to make that audio more intelligable. It probably starts
> with pre-coaching of interview subjects and extends to a set of
> published rules for on-location professional personnel. Lou's point
> about the mic dangling around the chest of the screeching Mellinnial
> is true. The other typical image is the Gen-Xer or Boomer with the
> "cyborg" bluetooth thing attached to his ear, where the mic is
> somewhere between his sideburn and his eye.
>
> -- Tom Fine

Regards
--
Don Cox