-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Old Mercury recording venue gets a rebuild

Polygram was foolish not to provide something putting Mercury's best foot
forward. They did the same to Chicago, I am pretty sure, judging from how
bad the Kubelik material sounds as released on that CSO anniversary
compilation put out on RCA. I think both of these were put out in the era
when Polygram was putting out Mercury Golden Imports, so they had 2-track
Dolby-ized dubs that they could have provided, the same tapes they cut the
Golden Imports LPs from. Definitely not ideal, but better than leaving
someone to make their own dubs off scratchy old LPs. Further proof of what a
bad brand-owner Philips was. They never missed an opportunity to avoid
promoting something they owned.