From: Tom Fine
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] "Why Vinyl Is the Only Worthwhile
Way to Own Music"

Hi Mark:

I think Neve was referring to harmonics of music up there, vibrating the
skin if not the eardrums.
What I'm saying, and I think Mike Gray is also saying, is that I doubt
THAT'S what's up there with
the older beloved recordings, because mics, transformers and tape couldn't
pass those frequencies.

I also forgot to mention that most LP cutting guys low-passed well into
audible frequencies to save
their cutterheads from blowing out with intense upper-octaves energy.
Remember that the RIAA boosts
upper treble frequencies by large amounts, as do all electrical pre-emphasis
curves, to one degree
or another.

-- Tom Fine