Hi John:

I'm not sure what era Capitol you are referring to.

I think the very early Capitol stereo, the first round of session recorded in Pittsburgh, may have
been done on a 2-track machine with 2 mics. Soon afterward, Irv Joel and another engineer (did a lot
of jazz recording at Capitol NYC but I can't remember his name right now) travelled around in a
little "micro-van" with a "portable" Ampex 300 3-track. I don't think they used more than 3 mics, at
least early on. The results of those sessions would have probably been mixed down to a 2-track
disk-cutting master.

I don't know how Capitol's Hollywood recordings were done, but I assume 3-track with multiple mics,
mixed to a 2-track cutting master. I would guess the same about Houston.

I do know some facts about the Capitol/EMI/Angel recordings made by Carson Taylor in the late 60s
and early 70s, in Chicago and Cleveland. Taylor used a 4-channel (8-track) 3M Dynatrack recorder at
the sessions, and about a dozen microphones (counting his coincident stereo mics as 2 mics). Back at
the Capitol Tower, he mixed his session tapes to 2 channels and dubbed them to 2-track NAB, and then
edited the 2-tracks into the master. Original USA LPs were cut from these tapes. A former Capitol
mastering engineer has told me that Taylor sometimes or always edited two master tapes, and one was
sent to England for the original-issue EMI LPs. Somewhere along the line, dubs were made, and it's
apparent that the EMI reissue CDs and SACDs were made from these dubs. John Marks, a writer for
Stereophile, has discovered that at least two of the Cleveland recordings were dubbed so as to end
up with fast/sharp pitch on the EMI CDs and SACDs. It's unclear how or why this happened. John did
spectrum analysis on the CDs/SACDs and on dubs of original LPs that he and I had. The original LPs
are perfect A=440, whereas all EMI CD and SACD resissues we could find are A=445 to 446. These are
the Oistrakh recordings with Cleveland/Szell. We tested the Gilels-Szell recordings, made by
Columbia engineers, and they are dead-on A=440. We also tested the CD and HDTracks downloads of
later Szell/Cleveland recordings made by Carson Taylor and they are A=440. And we tested
Chicago/Giulini recordings made by Taylor, and they are A=440. So something went wrong in dubbing
the master for those particular Cleveland-Szell recordings, and it's not clear yet where or why the
error occured. John Marks is still digging.

-- Tom Fine