On 3/11/2014 6:17 AM, Tom Fine wrote:
> he other thing  we noticed about many early CDs is lack of bass. We
> couldn't figure that out, it shouldn't be a problem, but it is.

I was at the AES meeting where the first hi-res digital recordings (20-
and 24-bit) were demoed, and members of the panel talking about them
noted with some surprise that the new recordings all seemed to have
better bass than the 16-bit ones, and they couldn't figure out why.

Try this: take a good 24-biit recording and dither it down to 16 bits.
Does it lose something in the low frequencies? In that experiment,
you'll be using the same hardware on both the 24- and 16-bit versions,
same power supplies and all. Try it; I'd be interested to know what you
hear.

Peace,
Paul