On 3/12/2014 10:58 AM, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> Finally, there's major television news, which, among other things, can't
> seem to sync the audio with the video and a person's lips either lead or
> follow the audio signal. Pathetic, especially for the news.

Not necessarily the news -- I find that *many* television broadcasts
have the audio out-of-synch with the video. Apparently the networks
(including PBS, which used to be at the forefront of tech) are sending
the audio and video from one place to another on different channels,
with different delays -- or do the A/D converters for video and audio
have different latencies? In any case, it's annoying.

Going back to radio, I've noticed a linguistic shift happening on NPR
public affairsprograms (I don't listen to much radio other than NPR):
when answering a question, interviewees increasingly begin their answer
with the word "So", even when it's not appropriate. Is this happening on
other, non-NPR, broadcasts too, or in the society at large?

Peace,
Paul