It's worth keeping in mind that Riverside for sure, Prestige for sure and Blue Note to a certain
extent, were operating on shoestring budgets and were not run by audiophiles as much as music
lovers. Costly extra steps to make superior pressings were out of the question. The
contract-pressing plants that served small labels back in the 50s and 60s were not great on vinyl
compounds, pressing technology or quality control. Anyone who thinks they are likely to find a bunch
of Prestige pressings that sound like they came out of RCA Indianapolis will be sorely disappointed.

On the other hand, for whatever reasons that now look dumb in retrospect, the distinctive and
handsome label designs of the 1950s jazz records were all morphed into ugly late-60s "artwork." Some
people buy trashed records just to get the original labels. Classic Records and Chad Kassem's
Analogue Productions have always made it a point to reproduce original-issue label design and text,
which does make the reissues nicer-looking artifacts (and has absolutely no effect on how good they
sound). Even dumber were some of the cover-art re-designs that MCA and Fantasy Group did in the 80s.
Yuk!

In general, LP label art got really ugly in the 70s, for no good reason. Think of the the original
Reprise label vs late-era LP. Think of the original Warmer Brothers with the studio lot image vs the
ugly beige WB label. Think of Blue Note's distinctive bold blue and white vs the super-ugly
iteration under Liberty Records. Mercury circa 1960 vs Mercury circa 1970. Etc etc etc. Maybe
ugliest of all was the RCA insignia redesign in the late 60s. Compare a 1960 shaded dog to a 1980s
half-speed reissue of the same record. The 1980s remaster might well sound better, but evreything
about the packaging and label is _ugly_!

-- Tom Fine