 Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Ford Sunday Evening Hour broadcasts
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 12:40 AM

 Fascinating , informative! Thank you,
 Leo. I learned things I didn't  know.
 What a range of conductors, and so the orchestra for these
 broadcasts was
 indeed made up of DSO members, at least until March 1947.
 Might that have
 been  when the DSO was disbanded? And the listed
 conductors included Charles
 Hackett and Richard Bonelli? Jeepers...they were singers and
 I'd never known
  before that they conducted. (I seem to remember reading
 years ago that
 Richard Bonelli was the uncle of the actor Robert Stack,
 especially famous
 for the  television series "The Untouchables," and that
 Bonelli  was one of
 those talented non-Italian singers who changed his or
 her name before World
 War II to seem to be Italian.)

   I can't get to Philip Hart's biography of Reiner now,
 but I seem to
 recall that he recounted Reiner's 1940s trips to Detroit to
 conduct the Ford
 Sunday Evening Hour broadcasts.

   Don Tait

 In a message dated 3/19/2014 6:07:57 P.M. Central Daylight
 Time,
 writes:

 The  online archives of the DSO for the Ford Sunday
 Evening Hour goes from
 2/16/1934 to 3/8/1947. A couple are listed for 1923, but
 I’m not sure if
 those  are  correct.

 http://www.dso.org/performanceTitle.aspx?page_id=648

 The  list of conductors includes:  Victor Kolar,
 Fritz Reiner, Mischa
 Levitsky, Alexander Smallens, Charles Hackett, Richard
 Bonelli, Sir Ernest
 MacMillan, Emma Otero, Franco Ghione, Elwyn Carter, Andre
 Kostelanetz, Sir  John
 Barbirolli, Sir Thomas Beecham, Wilfrid Pelletier, Jose
 Iturbi, George
 Szell, Sir Eugene Ormandy, Reginald Stewart, Artur,
 Rodzinaksi, Eugene
 Goossens, Victor Kolar, Harold Koch, Dmitri Mitropoulos,
 Karl Krueger, William
 Steinberg, Leonard Bernstein, Efrem Kurtz, and C. Valter
 Poole.

 The  first few years were all Kolar, (DSO principal
 conductor) then Reiner
 and  Ormandy began appearing. Kolar, Reiner, Ormandy,
 Iturbi, Pelletier and
 Beecham  did numerous performances, and many of these
 in later years were
 held at the  Music Hall, another fine, small venue in
 downtown Detroit, still
 in operation.  Several of the listings unfortunately do
 not include the
 performance  venue.

 -- Leo Gillis

 On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Don  Tait  ([log in to unmask])
 <
 wrote:

 >  I have tapes or private CD-Rs of some of those
 broadcasts. From   circa
 > 1941/2. Each 30 minutes. All I have are conducted by
 Fritz  Reiner, who
 > presumably took the train up from Pittsburgh for
 the
 gig. I got the
 > recordings
 > from  fellow Reiner  collectors and have no
 idea
 who might  have conducted
 >  other
 > programs. As one might expect, the selections are
 short
 and  the musical
 > gruel is pretty thin. The "theme music"  for each
 program is the  French
 > horn
 > "bedtime" music  from Hansel und Gretel.
 >
 >   I do not remember  whether the
 announcer(s) said  from where the
 > broadcasts  originated. Sorry.
 >
 >   Don  Tait
 >

 > In a message dated 3/18/2014 3:38:10 P.M.
 Central
 Daylight Time,
 writes:

 > Starting  in 1934 and  continuing for a
 number of
 years thereafter, the
 > Detroit   Symphony appeared on a radio
 program, the
 Ford Symphony Hour.
 >   Some
 > of  the most distinguished conductors of
 that  time
 regularly guested on
 > this
 > show, which also featured  big name soloists.
 Preserved  broadcasts show
 > that the  orchestra was an excellent one during
 this
 period,  and the
 >  acoustics audible on these recordings sound OK,
 with a
 touch of  nice  hall
 > ambiance.  A number of these broadcasts are
 sought
 after  by  collectors.  I
 > don't know where these shows were  recorded, but I

 assume they predate the