From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Stamler
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 11:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Toothpaste

On 3/11/2014 9:32 AM, Smith, Allison wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the link.
>
> Regarding the Radio/Compression comment - that is sad.  However, WPR doesn't broadcast compressed material if we can help it.  We only broadcast compressed files that are not produced by us, and are sent to us that way.  Then, we have no choice.
>
> Our audio engineers are aware of the difference for the listener.

Allison, I think you're confusing data compression (as in .mp3 files) with audio compression (which manages the dynamic range of program
material.)

*Some* compression is necessary in broadcasting in order to avoid over-modulating the transmitter and splashing onto adjacent channels. If WPR (a network) isn't using audio compression, I assure you that the stations that broadcast your material are, in order to avoid breaking FCC regs about over-modulation. Audio compression, judiciously applied, also makes the material listenable in limited-dynamic-range environments, like cars.

Peace,
Paul