With a nod to Mardi Gras, our feature this month is Craig Handy & 2nd Line Smith,  an integration of New Orleans funk and Jimmy Smith's classic organ jazz on the newly reconstituted OKeh label. Also featured are two Twin Cities related projects: Numero's funk compilation Purple Snow: Forecasting the Minneapolis Sound and André Cymone's The Stone, his first full-length release in 29 years.
We're joining the 60th anniversary celebration of Chicago's legendary Delmark Records by reviewing two special compilations-60 Years of Jazz and 60 Years of Blues-as well as Magic Sam: Live at the Avant Garde, recorded in 1968.
World music albums include Kheswa & Her Martians' Meadowlands, Stolen Jazz based on South African anti-apartheid era songs; the reissue of Musi-O-Tunya's Zambian rock classic Give Love to Your Children; Njabulo Madlala's Songs of Home, a combination of Western art songs and South African folk songs; Trinidadian-American artist Juakali's dubstep/hiphop album Feathers Too Bright; and KiT's Tambutronic, a 21st-century hybridization of tambú music from Curaçao.
Also featured are two new gospel releases-Ethan Kent's Work in Progress and Micah Stampley's Love Never Fails; two recent hip hop releases-Black Milk's No Poison, No Paradise and Aceyalone's Leanin' on Slick; the Toni Braxton and Babyface collaboration Love, Marriage and Divorce; and Funk Road by Mutiny, a band led by drummer Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey. Wrapping up this issue is our list of February releases of note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
www.blackgrooves.org
http://www.indiana.edu/~aaamc/