This has probably been spoken about in the past, but now that so many EAD
implementors are using data entry systems and not necessarily generating
custom stylesheets, what might the consensus be on using end punctuation
after controlled headings. Is there a strong reason to keep or get rid of
it? I have heard arguments for both.

As a digital collections department, we are stuck between a rock and a hard
place in trying to standardize this. I'm seeing many digital/metadata heavy
groups going away from the punctuation in metadata for digital objects
(perhaps planning to allow for systems to control that still) and then EAD
implementors creating finding aids with the punctuation.  I surveyed a few
institutions that came to mind. I mostly see the punctuation kept. However,
with something like DPLA, there is no end punctuation. I'm creating
metadata and finding aids for both areas, but describing the same material,
as in, a finding aid of correspondence with punctuated controlled headings
and then a digital collection of the same correspondence with DC metadata
with non-punctuated headings.

We plan to implement ArchivesSpace and we don't really know an automated
way to switch back and forth between formatting choices like this
conveniently, so it would be great to go with something and stick with it.
Right now, in our AT, we use end punctuation. I guess what matters is that
we CAN include the punctuation at our institution if we want to and
export/share our EAD that can easily be altered through stylesheets if a
system we shared with opted against them. I still have a hard time grasping
using the same headings in two different places at our own institution and
including punctuation in one and not the other--with no real strong reason
of why on either--while at the same time having no qualms with the fact
that our library catalog obviously uses it and is where the argument
begins. If someone can show me some examples of what they do and why, or
why we shouldn't care about a small formatting issue that could also span
across other fields too, I would appreciate it greatly. MARC 245 also uses
end punctuation, but EAD finding aid titles do not? Is this a parallel
issue that would show why punctuation doesn't matter?

DPLA - No Periods
http://dp.la/item/4696d87c59b75357b801aa9090df6780?back_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdp.la%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcar%26subject%255B%255D%3DBusiness%252C%2BEconomics%2Band%2BFinance%26utf8%3D%25E2%259C%2593

These finding aid/EAC/EAD examples/best practices say do include/instruct
to use periods

LC:
http://findingaids.loc.gov/db/search/xq/searchMfer02.xq?_id=loc.mss.eadmss.ms007005&_faSection=indexTerms&_faSubsection=controlaccess&_dmdid=d5384e7

SNAC:
http://socialarchive.iath.virginia.edu/xtf/search?sectionType=cpfdescription;f1-localDescription=College%20students;f2-localDescription=Greek%20letter%20societies

OAC Practices - page 13:
http://www.cdlib.org/services/access_publishing/dsc/tools/docs/EAD_Web_Templates.pdf

Northwest Digital Archives Best Practice Guidelines

Page 25 - their systems adds it in for them, so they don't put it in
manually

DACS 2nd Edition says to follow AACR2 or RDA, but then the examples don't
actually use any end punctuation.

http://files.archivists.org/pubs/DACS2E-2013.pdf

*PAGE 32*--General Rules
2.6.4 Record the name(s) of the creator(s) identified in the name element
in the devised
title of the materials using standardized vocabularies (e.g., Library of
Congress
Authorities) or with rules for formulating standardized names, such as
those found in
AACR2, ISAAR(CPF), or RDA.
 Hamilton, Alexander, 1757-1804
 Title: Alexander Hamilton papers

Lyon, Phyllis
Martin, Del
 Title: Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin papers

Richardson, James Burchell
 Title: James Burchell Richardson family papers

Schramm family
 Title: Schramm family papers

Wharton, Edith, 1862-1937
Fullerton, William Morton, b. 1865
Title: Edith Wharton correspondence with Morton Fullerton

Bollingen Foundation
 Title: Bollingen Foundation records

United States. Bureau of Insular Affairs
 Title: United States Bureau of Insular Affairs records

Irvine Company
University of California (System). Regents.
Title: Land agreements between the University of California
and the Irvine Company

*PAGE 87*
Finally, the names of these entities must be rendered in a standardized
form using
standardized vocabularies (e.g., Library of Congress Authorities) or with
rules for
formulating standardized names such as those found in AACR2, ISAAR(CPF), or
RDA to facilitate the retrieval of information across descriptions,
systems, and
institutions.

And FINALLY, EAD3 Gamma has an example on page 243 of a subject heading
encoded and DOES include end punctuation.
http://www2.archivists.org/sites/all/files/gammaEAD3TagLibrary.pdf

*ArchivesSpace members (examples of current EAD examples):*

http://www.archivesspace.org/General%20Members

end punctuation
http://www.library.gatech.edu/archives/finding-aids/search?browse-all=yes;expand=subject

http://www.uic.edu/depts/lib/specialcoll/services/rjd/findingaids/AFSCf.html