Any chance you’ll put up a “sandbox” version so those of us who can’t install stuff on our own due to institutional restrictions can play with it?

Michele

From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ethan Gruber
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 12:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: xEAC, EAC-CPF publication framework, beta ready for testing

xEAC is an open-source XForms-based application for creating and managing EAC-CPF collections. The XForms backend allows editing of the XML documents in a web form, and relationships between source and target entities are maintained automatically. It is available at https://github.com/ewg118/xEAC.

I have finally gotten xEAC to a stage where I feel it is ready for wider testing (and I have updated the installation documentation). This has been a few months coming, since I had intended to release the beta shortly after MARAC in November. The xEAC documentation can be found here: http://wiki.numismatics.org/xeac:xeac

Features

-Create, edit, publish EAC-CPF documents. Most, but not all, EAC-CPF elements are supported.
-Public user interface migrated to bootstrap 3 to support mobile devices.
-Maps and timelines for visualization of life events.
-Basic faceted search and Solr-based Atom feed in the UI.
-Export in EAC-CPF, KML, and rudimentary RDF/XML. HTML5+RDFa available in entity record pages.
-Manage semantic relationships between identities (http://eaditor.blogspot.com/2013/11/maintaining-relationships-in-eac-cpf.html). Target records are automatically updated with symmetrical or inverse relationships, where relevant, and relationships are expressed in the RDF output. TODO: parse relationship ontologies defined in RDF (e.g., http://vocab.org/relationship/.rdf) for use in xEAC.

REST interactions

The XForms engine interacts with the following web services to import name authorities, biographical, or geographic information:

-VIAF lookup
-DBPedia import
-Geonames for modern places (placeEntry element)
-Pleiades Gazetteer of Ancient Places (placeEntry)
-Getty AAT SPARQL (occupation element) (http://eaditor.blogspot.com/2014/03/linking-eac-cpf-occupations-to-getty-aat.html)
-SPARQL query mechanism of nomisma.org in the UI (and extensible, generalizable lookup widgets)

When the OCLC linked data service supports queries by VIAF URI, I will create a lookup widget to provide lists of related bibliographic resources.

TODO list

I aim to improve xEAC over the following months and incorporate the following:

-Finish form: Represent all EAC-CPF elements and attributes
-Test for scalability
-Interface with more APIs in the editing interface
-Improve public interface, especially searching and browsing
-Employ SPARQL endpoint for more sophisticated querying and visualization, automatically publish to SPARQL on EAC-CPF record save.
-Incorporate social network graph visualization (see SPARQL, above)
-Follow evolving best practices in RDF, support export in TEI for prosopographies (http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Prosopography) and CIDOC-CRM.

-Interact with SNAC or international entity databases which evolve from it.

Resources:

Blog: http://eaditor.blogspot.com/

MARAC slideshow: http://eaditor.blogspot.com/2013/11/marac-fall-2013-presentation.html

Prototype site: http://admin.numismatics.org/xeac/