The Getty functions vocabulary was built from an analysis of government functions in the U.S. as part of the Government Records Description project (early 1990s) undertaken by 12 or so state archives, including Utah (Jeff Johnson was the state archivist at the time).

The application protocol was included in the AAT at the time--not sure if it is still there, but I have a copy if you/anyone is interested in the logic behind how it was applied.   Sphere of activity applied to agency level description (what is now EAC) functions to series level.

Kathleen

Kathleen D. Roe
Director of Operations
New York State Archives
9C35 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
(voice) 518-473-4254
(fax)  518-473-7573
>>> Ethan Gruber  03/21/14 4:49 PM >>>
The Getty has this sort of thing in AAT, e.g.,
http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/300138088 represents the top concept for a
function (the parent of function is activity).

The SPARQL query

SELECT * {
?c a gvp:Concept; skos:inScheme aat: ;
gvp:broaderTransitive aat:300054593 ;
gvp:prefLabelGVP/xl:literalForm ?label
} ORDER BY ?label LIMIT 100

will get you an alphabetical list of 100 functions

You can drop in luc:term for a keyword search:

SELECT * {
?c a gvp:Concept; skos:inScheme aat: ;
gvp:broaderTransitive aat:300054593 ;
gvp:prefLabelGVP/xl:literalForm ?label ;
luc:term "tax*"
} ORDER BY ?label LIMIT 100

This gets three results: appraising, assessing, taxing