If you want to build a set of function terms, I'd suggest you start with Samuel's book, where she defines the major functions of a university, then see if you have some major documents that set forth the purpose of various departments that support those functions.   For example, when we built the functions vocabulary for state government that forms the basis of the AAT functions list, we took the budget documents for ten or so states and extracted terms from them--because state budget documents spell out the function of the office as an intro to the fiscal request.  There may be a university document(s), maybe even their descriptions on a website or in the college catalog, that tell you want the various departments have as their purpose/function/mission.

Establishing the overall terminology without the "perspective" of a specific record series gives you a more comprehensive approach to creating terminology and you don't get caught in the weeds.   This was the advice we got both from the AAT staff at the time, as well as from a couple workshops I took on creating thesauri generally.

Kathleen

Kathleen D. Roe
Director of Archives and Records Management Operations
New York State Archives
9C35 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
(voice) 518-473-4254
(fax)  518-473-7573>>> Kühnel, Karsten<[log in to unmask]> 3/24/2014 8:08 AM >>>

Hello,

I am looking for such catalogues of functions as well, in particular for functions of universities or HEIs. If something is known on this field, I would be happy to get more on it! I have Samuel’s book and some models from JISC and Oxford university, only. But those are no thesauri, taxonomies or catalogues, unfortunately.

Could you be so kind and let me know more about how to use the EAC-tags for building up hierarchies of functions? We would like to do something similar, here, but we are going the very first steps yet.

Best

Karsten Kühnel, M.A.

Universitätsarchivar

********************************
Beschreibung: cid:203491812@26062012-0272[log in to unmask]" width=199 height=62>

Universitätsarchiv

Leuschnerstraße 51
95445 Bayreuth
Tel.: 0921/ 55 4700

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
E-Mail persönlich: [log in to unmask]

Das Universitätsarchiv im Internet und in sozialen Netzwerken:

http://www.uni-bayreuth.de/universitaetsarchiv/

twitter-bird-blue-on-white20[log in to unmask]" width=27 height=27>Twitter

FB-f-Logo__blue_29[log in to unmask]" width=29 height=29>Facebook