Internships at the Commerce Research Library

The Commerce Research Library offers ongoing unpaid internships to library science graduate students interested in gaining work experience in a federal library in downtown Washington, DC.  We are looking for motivated, self-starting library school graduate students able to work at least eight hours a week.

Job Description
The students would have the opportunity to work with our print and digital collection and gain experience in many different types of library work, including reference and research, collection development, cataloging/metadata, and web development.  Additionally, the student will help to carry out other normal library functions such as reference desk coverage, circulation duties, scheduling trainings & events, marketing, and collection of usage statistics.  This is an excellent opportunity for a student to gain experience working on a variety of projects at a library with a broad range of research interests and subject matters.

About Us
The Commerce Research Library is located in the Headquarters Building of the U.S. Department of Commerce in downtown Washington, DC.  We are a federal depository library with a large print collection and numerous online databases that support legal and business research.  We serve the public as well as the employees of the U.S. Department of Commerce stationed around the world.  Learn more about us and our collections at http://library.doc.gov

Special stipulations
Students will not receive any wages for the work.  The student will gain knowledge and experience which will enhance the student capabilities and service as compensation and a community service.  We will assist a student in obtaining academic credit.  Students must undergo a security clearance.

How to Apply
To apply send an email to Kelli Peterson at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with your resume and a brief cover letter including relevant information about yourself, specifically what semester of school you are in, what types of classes you have taken, your areas of interest, and what you hope to learn or gain in experience during this practicum.