Dear JAC Colleagues,

I have read with interest the various threads related to the Shikomor debate. My sources also say that it was a language proposed a generation ago by the government, but that was never really implemented. There are some schoolbooks in the combined language, but the local population use their own languages on the various islands. I would recommend against adoption of the code.

I will be sending out the ballot next week as JAC Secretary, so those with further comments should express them soon.

Melinda Lyons
JAC Secretary
ISO 639-3 RA