Me too!

Debbie

*From:* ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] *On
Behalf Of *Mark Davis ??
*Sent:* 07 April 2014 20:00
*To:* [log in to unmask]
*Subject:* Re: ISO 639-1 language code request for "Shikomor"

I agree with Peter.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*-- Il meglio è l'inimico del bene --*

On 7 April 2014 20:54, Peter Constable <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm not in favour of encoding "Shikomor" in any part of ISO 639.

This term refers to a fictional language of convenience: Comoros refers to
it in their constitution as though it were a language, but in reality there
is not a single Comorian language. This is a bit like Filipino, a desire by
the government to have a single unifying language, except that in the case
of Filipino there actually was some progress and some measure of success in
engineering a unifying language. From what I understand, that has not at
all happened in Comoros.

That means, for instance, that there will not be any documents, Web pages
or other kinds of content that need to be described as being in "Shikomor".
Even the government that asserts a "Shikomor" language does not appear to
publish anything claiming to be in "Shikomor".

To encode in any part, it would need to qualify for inclusion in 639-3, the
part that has is the most comprehensive. Even there, I don't see a need to
encode. But even if it were decided that there were some value in encoding
the notion "Shikomor" in 639-3, I don't think it would qualify for
inclusion in 639-2 due to lack of documents. Also, I would not support
encoding in 639-1 under any condition as there is no benefit to be gained,
but costs to be incurred by many.

Gérard's interest appears to be to fill in a table in ISO 3166 pertaining
to administrative languages. I think this is a good example of why it is a
bad idea for ISO 3166 to have included such a table in the first place -
which the JAC advised TC46 against doing in DIS ballot comments.

Peter