From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Zagas, John
Sent: April 7, 2014 6:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ISO 639-1 language code request for "Shikomor"

Dear JAC colleagues,

I recently received a request from G�rard Lang (see below) proposing that a code be created in ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2 for the language, "Shikomor".  I submit this request to the JAC for review and discussion.  I should note that though the request is for creating the code in both Parts 1 and 2 (new language codes cannot be defined in Part 1 without a Part 2 counterpart), the requester's primary objective is to have the code defined in ISO 639-1.  As there have recently been long discussions on the ISOJAC Listserv concerning the advisability of creating new codes in ISO 639-1, the discussion for this request will be limited to a brief time span (a week to ten days at the most).  I look forward to your comments.

John Zagas
JAC Chair