I agree with what Paul said.

The stipulation about not changing an authorized access point merely to add or remove a fuller form is talking about the cataloger-added qualifier in $q, not the preferred name itself. If the preferred name (what’s in subfield $a, and sometimes $n or $c) doesn’t correspond to usage, then it should be changed.

On Paul’s statement “In fact, this evaluation applies to all headings being re-coded to RDA”: i.e., this includes any record being recoded to RDA, not just records with the 667 note. The 667 was only added to the records that the conversion program could tell might be a problem, but that doesn’t mean all other records are fine. Not all records currently coded AACR2 conform to RDA. There might be a usage problem, as here, or there might be something where RDA has a different guideline for defining the preferred name (as where RDA says words like “Jr.,” “Sr.”, etc., are part of the preferred name, where they were not under AACR2).

I would actually go out on a limb here (just a little) and say that the record for Henry M. Burlage was incorrect even under AACR2, and so the 1XX field could have been changed even before the migration to RDA. The basic principle of choosing the preferred name on the basis of the most commonly-known form of the name didn’t change between AACR2 and RDA. So to go just a little farther than Paul, I might say “In fact, this evaluation can apply to any record in the file”—if you find a preferred name that goes blatantly against usage, as in the case of Henry M. Burlage,” it can be considered an error in fact and the 1XX can be changed, whether the record is coded AACR2 or RDA. To make myself clear, we don’t willy-nilly go changing authorized access points, and it’s not very efficient to reevaluate every single record we look at, so we don’t do that, but if something catches our eye it is sometimes worthwhile to take a minute to check. For example, if no usage in the record matches the usage in the preferred name in 1XX, it might be worthwhile looking. Another case is where the preferred name was based on the person’s thesis (a form which the person normally has no control over), but he/she has since published several resources consistently using another form.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568