From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Creative Commons rights statement

CC is not an alternative to copyright; it is a means for granting license to material that is under copyright.

But as to Adolfo's original question:  The CC date seems to be a CC license date, not necessarily a copyright date.  The two dates might coincide, but then again they might not.  CC license terms end when the copyright term itself ends.  It's possible that a CC license was applied to something in 2013 that was actually copyrighted many years earlier.  I'd just go with the year in brackets in 264 _1 $c.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
(847) 491-2939