At 05:39 PM 5/23/2014, Lou Judson wrote:
>I would like to see someone produce some quality roller guides to replace
>the erase and record heads on tape decks that will never record again...
>Like mine!

The low-rent solution is to put teflon tape on the unused heads.  Here's
one source:
www.mcmaster.com/#76475a32
This will have much lower friction than a head.  Note:  if you want to
maintain the same tension at the play head, you'll have to increase the
holdback tension.  (Same problem if you replace heads with rollers.)

The problem with rollers is that they have bearings that will eventually go
bad, and a roller with a bad bearing is *waaay* worse than a head.  Very
few people frequently measure flutter, so this failure can go undetected
for a long time.  And, the flutter measurement needs to be wideband to
detect a bad bearing in a small roller -- at least 1 kHz bandwidth,
preferably 2 kHz -- not any of the standard weighted flutter measurements.

-- John Chester