I suppose we all must be getting tired of this thread, but I do want to add
to the endorsements of gmail. Though I subscribe to this list through my
longtime (since ca. 1995) ISP Inch.com which actually is no longer my ISP,
but simply my $5 a month mail service (well worth it and I get to keep an
incredibly easy to remember short address from back in the days when you
could get a five letter, no numerals, address), I used to read mail to it
via Thunderbird mail reader, but now I have it forwarded from Inch to my
work account at NYPL. For the last few years, NYPL has been using gmail,
keeping the @nypl.org address, and it has been a decided improvement over
the crappy Lotus Notes proprietary software that we had prior to it.
Anyhow, I have not been dropped during this recent flap and it may have had
something to do with the gmail underpinnings of all my mailing and
subscribing. Just about any time that something is as big and dominant as
Google I go into hate mode by default, but I really have to give their mail
plenty of props and not just for not going haywire like Yahoo. Creating
folders and filters works quite nicely with an easy learning curve.
Searching is equally simple and there are no ads, as mentioned before.

Of course, I could just be my good karma coming through.

Hitting the road tomorrow with my Google maps tracing the spidery way to
Chapel Hill.

Peter Hirsch