Most of the great conductors were/are in fact string players, not pianists.
 Szell, Walter, Solti and Bernstein were pianists, and Stokowski was an
organist (his first job in the US was as organist for St. Bart's Church in
Manhattan).  Most of the rest were string players.  Munch was a
concertmaster under Furtwaengler.  Toscanini and Barbirolli were cellists.
 Koussevitzsky was a bass fiddle virtuoso.  Ormandy was the most famous
violin student of Hubay, Szigeti's teacher.

Best,
John Haley